Monday, August 31, 2015

Passion Project Topic- Ocean Pollution

For my passion project, I am going to focus on the issue of pollution, specifically plastic, in our oceans. Instead of starting my own organization or trying to pass a law, I will (hopefully) be collaborating with an organization called 5GYRES that has been working towards eliminating plastic pollution in our oceans. My goal is to be the voice of the organization in North Carolina. Because 5GYRES is based out of California, I think using this blog and social media will play a big part in my project and will allow me to stay connected to the efforts on the other side of the country. I'm still not entirely sure what my actual "goal" is, but I do know I want to help 5GYRES expand by introducing the organization to our community. I chose this organization to try to collaborate with because they have been researching the subtropical gyres for years by launching 16 research expeditions. They have also accomplished a lot in the effort to end plastic pollution, including passing the first ever state microbead legislation and pressured 16 major cosmetic companies, including Johnson & Johnson, to stop using microbeads in their products.    

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great idea...to bring a positive organization across the nation to the "other" coast! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Schroth,
    Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave me a comment. I appreciate the support!

    ReplyDelete