Friday, April 8, 2016

Radio Commentary Project & a Brief Reflection on this Year

This week, we've been working on writing and recording a radio commentary about something we feel strongly about. I chose to do my commentary on human trafficking, specifically in North Carolina. Not very many people know this but North Carolina ranks as the 8th most likely state where human trafficking takes place, with Charlotte being the number one city. This project has been really different from other things we've done. Instead of using our iPads to videotape things and editing them in iMovie (sometimes inserting a voiceover), we're only using GarageBand to record our voices, so you never actually see us. I don't know if it's because I care about this topic a lot because it's a problem in my own community or if I like the idea of only hearing a voice, but this has been one of my favorite projects we've done in this class. 

I feel like this class has made me a more active and informed member of society. If it weren't for the various service projects we've done for local charities and global issues, I would have no knowledge of some of the really bad (and the occasional really good) things happening. By doing projects that require us to put our own voice into it, I've become more comfortable sharing my opinion and standing behind it, because I know that I've done my research and I "know my stuff." I think everyone should take the time to research the amazing charities and organizations in their local community and get involved. There's always something you can do to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment